LOCAL HOMESCHOOL NEWS for October
This post will be updated throughout October 2016
HOMESCHOOL DAYS & EVENTS AT VENUES ACROSS THE STATE
- VirginiaFieldTrips.com ‘Home Educators‘ page
- HEAV ‘Homeschool Days‘ page
- HEAV ‘Events‘ page
- HEAV Virginia Homeschool Convention
- VaHomeschoolers ‘Events‘ page
- VaHomeschoolers Conference
- Reach Homeschool Group Field Trips
30-80 Field Trips per Month
HOMESCHOOL FIELD TRIP IDEAS BY JESSICA
Local home educator, Jessica O’Brien, shares field trip ideas and a variety of other happenings and related information (discounts, etc.) that local homeschool families are sure to find interesting via Homeschool Field Trip Ideas by Jessica. Visit Homeschool Field Trip Ideas by Jessica on Facebook and as ‘Field Trip Ideas’ on Twitter here.
LYNCHBURG HOMESCHOOL FIELD TRIP CLUB
Lynchburg Homeschool Field Trip Club, started by local home educator, Bethany Davis, features field trips and playdates geared toward local elementary-aged homeschool students. You can find the Lynchburg Homeschool Field Trip Club Facebook page here and the Lynchburg Elementary Homeschool Field Trips Facebook group here.
LYNCHBURG HOME SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
LHSAA offers competitive homeschool sports for girls and boys in middle and high school. Join LHSAA’s Email List via their website here and for their latest news regarding registration, open gym, start dates, etc.
- Middle School, Junior Varsity, and Varsity Teams
- Boys & Girls Teams
- Fast Pitch Softball
Looking for another sport? Let LHSAA know as others may be interested as well.
LYNCHBURG HOMESCHOOL GRADUATION FOR CLASS OF 2017
We are hoping to have a team in place to host a ceremony for local homeschool students graduating next year as the Class of 2017.
Please contact us if you would be interested in making a local community-wide graduation a reality in the spring of 2017.
Interested families should follow the LHG blog at LynchburgHomeschoolGraduation.com for news and registration information as details become available.
HOMESCHOOL ICE SKATING GROUP
Ice skating coach, Dawn Harter, leads the homeschool ice skating group that meets at the LaHaye Ice Center for instruction on Wednesdays at 10:30a beginning September 7, 2016. The 5-week sessions cycle throughout the academic year and cost $65 per skater/per 5-week session and include membership with the US Figure Skating Association and participation in the ice show in December. Skate rental is included. All ages welcome. Email Coach Dawn here or call 434-258-8164 for further details.
FUNQUEST HOMESCHOOL DAY
The next monthly Homeschool Day at FunQuest Family Entertainment Center will be on Tuesday, October 4, 2016 from 2-4p. Special pricing available. Visit FunQuest’s Homeschool page here for dates/times and prices, additional discounts, and special happenings during Homeschool Day.
Future Dates *Subject to change.
- November 1, 2016
- December 6, 2016
- January 3, 2017
- February 7, 2017
- March 7, 2017
- April 4, 2017
- May 2, 2017
Stay tuned for upcoming information regarding STEM education at FunQuest on Homeschool Days that will be offered several times throughout the academic year.
FALL HOMESCHOOL TENNIS LEAGUE
Lynchburg Tennis Patrons Association Junior Tennis Program will begin their four-week Fall Homeschool League on Thursday, October 6, 2016 from 11a-12:30p on the courts at Peaks View Park (170 Ivy Creek Lane, Lynchburg). Players will learn basic strokes and serving through games and drill. Scoring, parts of the court, rules, and match play in doubles and singles will be introduced. Email Jen D’Orio, LTPA Director of Programs, here for registration form and further details.
- Levels: Beginner to Advanced
- Ages: 6-18, grouped by age &/or ability
- Registration Fee: $40, includes t-shirt *$5/ea. discount for 3+
- Registration Ends: October 3, 2016
- Space is Limited
- United States Tennis Association Youth Tennis
Lynchburg Tennis Patrons Association (LTPA) has been in Lynchburg for over 50 years. They are an organization dedicated to serving tennis to the community at a low cost so that EVERYONE can play. In 2012 LTPA started a Junior Tennis league and eventually a homeschool league as well.
HOMESCHOOL DAYS AT RISE UP CLIMBING
Rise Up Climbing in Lynchburg will be offering Homeschool Days on the 4th Wednesday of each month from 1-5p (on October 26, 2016 this month). Homeschool Day pricing is $10/climber including gear (normally $15.50) or $15/initial belayer training for parents and students over 14 years-old. Parents and students over 14 years-old will learn to hold rope (known as belaying) for their climber in 30 minutes on the spot. After the initial training the belaying itself is free upon subsequent visits. Rental harness, if needed, is $2. Anyone under 18 years-old will need a waiver filled out by their parent or legal guardian. Call Rise up at 434-845-7625 or visit RiseUpClimbing.com here for Homeschool Days pricing and further information.
LHSAA NOVEMBER VINTAGE BALL
Lynchburg Home School Athletic Association will be hosting their November Vintage Ball on Friday, November 4, 2016 from 7-10pm at Hyland Heights Baptist Church in Rustburg, VA. Doors open at 6:30p. Tickets are $8 per person/$30 per family of 4 or more if paid online. Tickets purchased after November 1, 2016 will be $12 per person/$40 per family. Visit the LHSAA online store here to purchase tickets. Visit LHSAA website here or their Patriots Vintage Ball Facebook page here for further details.
No prior dance experience/skill needed. Vintage dances will be taught, demonstrated, and called. Dress can be vintage, formal, semi-formal, or dressy. Ladies, please no low-cut tops or extra short dresses. Gentlemen, please wear a collared shirt and no jeans. Please bring a drink and a finger food or two to share. No alcohol or tobacco products. This is a family friendly event. All ages are welcomed and encouraged to participate. However, children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Proceeds will go to LHSAA for the advancement of athletic opportunities for homeschooled students in the Lynchburg and surrounding areas.
LYNCHBURG HIGH-SCHOOL HOMESCHOOLERS
Lynchburg High-School Homeschoolers is a group on Facebook for Lynchburg area high school homeschool students and parents. You can find Lynchburg High-School Homeschoolers on Facebook here.
LYNCHBURG, VA SPECIAL NEEDS HOMESCHOOLING
“Lynchburg, VA Special Needs Homeschooling is for those in the Lynchburg and surrounding areas who are currently homeschooling or who are interested in homeschooling their child(ren) with special needs.”
NEW & USED BOOKS, CURRICULUM, OTHER RESOURCES
Venues for Buying & Selling Homeschool Resources
- BUY-SELL-SWAP IN VA… Virginia statewide online group for buying & selling used books, curriculum & resources. Managed by HEAV.org.
- LOCAL CO-OP SALES… Lynchburg homeschool organizations holding used book sales are listed on Local Events calendar at LynchburgHomeschool.com. Sales are typically in spring.
- LYNCHBURG ONLINE HOMESCHOOL USED CURRICULUM FAIR… Lynchburg area online group for buying & selling used books, curriculum & resources.
- MOORE EXPRESSIONS… New & used bookstore in Virginia Beach specializing in homeschool materials, publishers & curricula. Shop online or at store location.
- USED CURRICULUM SALE – VIRGINIA HOMESCHOOL CONVENTION… Used Curriculum Sale at HEAV.org’s annual homeschool convention. Largest sale in Virginia for buying & selling used books, curriculum & resources.
LOCAL EVENTS & LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Visit our Local Events webpage for a continually-updated listing of upcoming local homeschool events
- Visit our Local Organizations for a listing of local homeschool organizations
- SUBMIT YOUR INFO: Both webpages have contact forms at the bottom for submitting info regarding homeschool events and organizations